It’s almost that time of the season again — The trivia challenge!
Several recent season of The Challenge have featured a challenge that is a variation of something they sometimes call Chairman of the Board. Each cast member (or if they’re in teams, team member) sits on a chair on a platform suspended around 30 feet above water. Host with most, T. J. Lavin asks each player a trivia question based on categories like general knowledge, pop culture, previous Challenge seasons, and spelling.
In 2012’s Battle of the Exes 2012, the questions, when possible, were ex-related, of course. Some questions were:
- Who’s Brad Pitt’s ex-wife?
- Who is Jessica Simpson’s ex-husband?
- Name Britney Spears’ ex and father of her two children. [NOTE: Abram had no idea and guessed Aaron Drake. When in doubt, make up a generic name?]
- Who is Madonna’s famous ex, star of “I am Sam” and “Milk”?
Veterans theoretically have an advantage on the Challenge questions, which are queries like:
- What was the name of T.J.’s first season as Challenge host? [Answer: Gauntlet II]
- The Gulag was the name of the elimination round in what season of the Challenge? [Answer: Cutthroat]
- What was the only season of the Challenge to take place in Africa? [Answer: The Inferno 3]
- Which team won the Inferno: Good Guys or Bad Asses? [Answer: Good Guys]
But some veterans have been on so many challenges that they get the seasons confused in their minds. For example, in Battle of the Exes, T.J. asked, “In Puerto Vallerta, exes Danny and Melinda were on opposite teams on what Challenge season?” CT got this wrong. The answer is Gauntlet 3. Bananas pointed out that CT was on that show.
General Knowledge questions have included:
- What is the capital of England? [NOTE: Answered incorrectly by Jasmine]
- What famous artist cut off his own ear? [NOTE: Answered incorrectly by Tyrie]
- Who do most people say assassinated JFK? [NOTE: Paula said John Wilkes Booth… oof/at least she named someone who killed a President?]
- What film won best picture at the Academy Awards in 2011? [NOTE: Answered incorrectly by Bananas]
Spelling questions have included:
- Spell calculator [NOTE: Paula got this right]
- Spell etiquette [NOTE: Diem said, “E-D-” (then went splash)]
- Spell auditorium [NOTE: Rachel said, “A-U-T-” (splash)]
- Spell significance [NOTE: Ty said, “S-I-G-N-I-F-I-C-N-C-E” (splash)]
Best question/answer ever:
“Camila, In 2010, Hugh Hefner announced that he would be engaged to what Playboy Bunny?”
With this majestic history in mind, here’s what we want to see T.J. ask the cast members on Thursday’s episode of The Challenge: Free Agents.
- What late night comedy sketch show first aired in 1975? (SNL)
- What Canadian rapper is Rihanna reportedly dating? (Drake) ***Opportunity for someone to maybe answer, “Aaron Drake”!!!***
- What TV series that ran from 1994-2004 featured characters named Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Joey, Chandler, and Ross? (Friends)
- For what movie did Lupita Nyong’o win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress? (12 Years a Slave)
- What Mean Girls actress had her own docuseries on the Oprah Winfrey Network this year? (Lindsay Lohan)
- What is the name of Beyonce and Jay-Z’s daughter? (Blue Ivy)
- The last time there was a Challenge in which participants played for themselves was The Duel II in 2009. Name either winner of the Duel II (Evan or Rachel R.)
- Excluding participants in this season of Free Agents, who holds the record for most total Challenge appearances? (Paula, with 10)
- Excluding participants in this season of Free Agents, who holds the record for most Challenge wins? (Darrell, with 4)
- Who holds the record for most Challenge elimination wins in a career? (Wes, with 11)
- What was the last season not hosted by TJ Lavin? (The Gauntlet II – hosted by Dave Mirra)
- What was the first season in which cast members were kicked off? (Battle of the Seasons (2002))
- What was the last season that took place in the United States? (Battle of the Sexes 2 (2004-05))
- What male contestant had the most seasons between Challenge appearances? (Alton, 8)
– Who is the Vice President of the United States? (Joe Biden)
– Who was the first man to walk on the moon? (Neil Armstrong)
– What 1980 film was the first sequel to the 1977 film Star Wars? (The Empire Strikes Back)
– Who wrote Catcher in the Rye? (J.D. Salinger)
– What team does NBA MVP Kevin Durant play for? (Oklahoma City Thunder)
– What country were the 2014 Winter Olympics held in? (Russia)
– What continent is Uruguay in? (South America)
- Lavin (as in T.J.’s last name)
Comment below with suggestions of what you think MTV should ask the cast!